Friday 11 December 2009

God's Garden 2003


As the area is called 'God's Garden' it was a natural choice to go for a Garden of Eden scene, but I wanted to do something that was light hearted and joyful, rather than serious. At first, to save time I was just going to paint everything in block colour, but once I started to shade things, the painting grew from that. It took me two Springs and Summers to complete (2002 to 2003), working in whatever spare time I had, so you can understand why I get rather upset when people decide to put graffiti on it!

The system I used was to draw the illustration, transfer it onto acetate and then blow each section up on the wall using an overhead projector. The paints used were Dulux Masonry Vibrant Range, which I found perfect for the job in hand. The colours can mix well, they are water based, vibrant (as the name suggests), and very durable. Although the smallest can you get is 2.5 litres, I keep what I have left over for other projects that may come up. I used old re-sealable takeaway containers, as it saved me from lumping heavy cans around with me, while painting the wall. Another good tip is to use cling film around a can to seal it. Once a can is opened, it is sometimes hard to get the lid to attach itself completely. If air gets in your paint it will just dry up. The cling film should stop that from happening!







As a location, despite the fact you are very near two major roads, it is a very peaceful one. After a while the sound of the cars go into the distance in favour of the sound of water bubbling by, and the wind through the trees. It is a real sun trap also, and I had to have a canopy erected to protect me from the heat. Great for sunbathing, but not for an all day session of painting, especially when it is so hot the paint started to dry on the brush. It was the intention of the owner to have this as a peaceful place where people could just stop and rest for a while, and it was a real pleasure to meet some of them while I was painting.



I would have been happier if there had been railings around the side by the river, and there was talk of the council installing them there, but unfortunately did not do it in the end. Maybe one day!




Although simpler to paint, because of the block colours, getting the staggered lettering up the slope was a difficult task!


The photo does not show the motion lines very well, but the elephant is sucking the water out, and then blowing the snorkelled rabbit out of his trunk. The elephant does not have two trunks!:)

Also please do not allow your rabbit to do a similar stunt. IT WILL DROWN!




A contented leaping tiger



A spaced out looking giraffe. There must be something in that plant he is eating!



A leaping sheep to bring movement to the mural.



It was particularly nice to be able to use a range of different bright colours on this, and and this parrot was exceptionally colourful!


This is my favourite character. This is one rabbit that likes to have fun!


This is the sketch I did in 2001 on which I based the whole mural design.



It was very nice that the Bristol Evening Post did an article on it in August 2003. I did not post my picture from it, as it would infringe the copyright of the photographer.




If anyone would like to see the mural, it is near the roundabout at Wapping and Cumberland Road in Bristol UK. You will see a sign for God's Garden, and just follow the path onto the green and you will not be able to miss it.

1 comment:

  1. This is so great. would love to see it in person but you do live a fare ways away. Not just a Sunday drive that is for sure. I really like the elephant. But I can't see all of the animals to say for sure he is my favourite. It would be neat to own a house that had a mural on one side of it. Or even the whole house. Have you thought of that?

    ReplyDelete